DIFFERENT TYPES OF EXERCISES FOR KIDS
Physical activity is very important in the growth and development of children. It has many physical and mental benefits for the child. It is recommended that kids get at least one hour of vigorous physical exercise each day. They should also be exposed to activity designed to strengthen muscle groups and bones at least three times a week. Different types of exercise for children include:
This involves physical activity, which increases the working of the cardiovascular system over a prolonged period of time. During such exercises, the level of intensity is moderate, which ensures that the balance between oxygen demand and supply in the body can be maintained for longer periods of time. This prevents the accumulation of waste products like lactic acid.
Aerobic exercise has many benefits for the body.
- It helps strengthen the activity of the heart.
- It results in the strengthening of the muscles of respiration, making respiration more efficient.
- It increases the overall energy of a child by improving the efficiency of oxygen delivery to the tissues.
- It increases self-confidence and cognition in a child.
Muscle strengthening exercise
This is a form of exercise in which the major goal is to strengthen the muscles and make them bigger and more efficient. This is done by repetitively overloading specific groups of muscles through structured activities.
The benefits of muscle exercises to a child include:
- Making the child more vigorous and robust.
- Increasing confidence in the child.
- Improved body image in the child. This also contributes to increased confidence.
- Stronger child with more endurance in physical and mental exertion.
- Reduced risk of injury to muscles and joints in vigorous activity.
This involves stretching muscle groups and tendons through structured activities. The stretching activity has the following benefits:
- Increases flexibility of the muscle groups
- Improves control over muscle groups in the body.
- Helps to increase the range of movements of muscles and joints.
- Reduces cramps and soreness in muscles especially after vigorous activity.
Types of exercise for children
Aerobic exercises for children include:
- Climbing stairs
- Stationary cycling under supervision
Muscle strengthening exercises: exercises which can strengthen the different muscle groups of children include some of the following:
- Tree climbing
- Rock climbing
- Tug of war
- Carrying weights under supervision
- Pull ups and push ups under supervision
Muscle stretching exercises for children: some exercises which can help to stretch muscles in children include the following:
- Some dances
Children need regular exercise in other to grow and develop properly. Aerobic exercises help to strengthen the function of the cardiovascular system in children. They also need to undergo muscle strengthening and stretch exercises. There are many different common activities through which children can exercise themselves.